Click on the name of the category to see a list of all pages in the category.
This category includes ideas about:
- group discussions
- talking person-to-person
- things that happen during group discussion
- advice for holding group discussion
- but not conflict: → CategoryConflict
…excludes ideas about:
Effects of Discussion
- PolarizationProblem – studies of small groups have shown that deliberation tends to cause polarization
- DelphiMethod – working around problems in group discussions to extract knowledge from experts
Number of Participants
You might be interested in CategoryRatingSystem for more about large scale information problems.
- SpaceForMetaDiscussion – where to discuss issues concerning the discussion itself
- RobertsRules – a time-tested set of rules for running “deliberative bodies”
- OpenSpace – a pretty new set of rulles for running “crazy wild productive meetings”
- RightToSpeakObject – simple and usually semi-formal way of deciding who gets to speak next
- RuleOfOrder – general discussion of what kinds of order you might want to apply
- PlainTalk – the art of using well-known words, short sentences and simple grammar to reach as big an audience as you can
- PainfulTalk – the art of obfuscating your words such that only a very small target audience can understand
- ComplexPlainTalk – PlainTalk that covers complexity, including jargon
- ShopTalk – the art of using precise terms and jargon in order to reach a small target audience with as few words as possible
- ThePowerOfQuestions – no innocent questions
- ContentOverForm – the content itself, vs. the delivery of the content
- WordMagic – magical phrases and words that evoke more
This category is pregnant.
We need to cut it open.
- On-Line Discussion Technique → CategoryOnlineDiscussion
- PlainTalk stuff → CategoryPlainTalk?
- Modality → ??? (OnlineDiscussion?, by the looks of it.)
- HeardItAllBefore → ??? Perhaps a section on… I don’t know the name for this idea, but: There are short mini-arguments that have a standard form, and that WikiZens? tend to build up LinkLanguage for. A collection of these pages would have a distinct category.
And what of PropositionNet and TypedThreadedDiscussion?
- “This category is pregnant.
- We need to cut it open.”
Ugh. Talk about a bad combination of metaphors ^-^
You know, like- Greek Gods and stuff? Always slicing pregnant ladies, and worlds popping out and stuff? Hell, Athena came out of Zeus’ head, and he seemed to be okay afterwards.
So, if he’s doing fine, I think CategoryDiscussion will be okay, too.