A proposal for running a MailingList
from a Wiki. I assume no BuiltinThreading?
on the Wiki. Aims:
- Use the Wiki as a message store without overwriting existing content
- Allow Wiki users to communicate with those on the MailingList
- Allow reworking of old emails without disrupting the MailingList
To allow these:
- Posted mail is simply appended to a Wiki page.
- The title of a post is turned into the name of the Wiki page to edit.
- Text appended to a Wiki page is distributed as mail (I assume an EasySubmission scheme)
- General reworking is not distributed as mail
- Formatting rules that follow e-mail conventions would help (e.g. > for quotes).
A mailing list indicates interest, so PageClusters are used to group topics:
- A cluster mailing list will only distribute changes to pages in that cluster.
- Posts to a cluster mailing list will not alter existing pages outside of that cluster.
- New pages created by posts to a cluster mailing list will be automatically clustered.
Problems with this scheme:
- Wiki users who want to post a message must be careful not to let old habits get the better of them - they cannot spell-check others' submissions or their post will look like reworking
- The inherent threading of e-mail will be lost, since posts are just stored in-order. Hopefully, different subjects being on different pages will mitigate this.
- Summaries are not easily generated. This might be rectified by clever parsing of the e-mail title, but at the risk of false summaries from e-mail users who forget to alter the title when they hit "reply".
I have no idea if this combination of ideas is new or not, but thought it worth getting out of my head and on Wiki just in case...
Quite possibly. That page doesn't contain any details of the scheme, and the link is dead.
[new] Another example is MetaBaby, but to a lesser extent. Anyway, it doesn't work very well. -- SunirShah
[new] It's a mailing list. There is no perceived commons, and therefore no maintenance of common space. If you want to have a wiki, use a wiki, and forego the mailing list. Jon's articles explains what's dumb about mailing lists.  -- SunirShah
Your [ new ] tag thing is broken. --ss
I'd thought we'd written this idea up in WikiFeatures, but I guess not. You should write it up- this is a good idea.
No, WikiFeatures:MailedUpdates? ain't it. We need WikiFeatures:PerPageMailingList?, or something like that.
Ka-Ping Yee's "nosy list" idea (from Jon's article) could be added to this: grab extra e-mail addresses from the cc-list of replies and sign them up to a cluster.